The sprawling complex of Gurudwara Bangla Sahib, built in the late 18th Century, is the most popular place of Sikh worship in Delhi. The Gurudwara is associated with the eighth Sikh Guru, Guru Har Kishan. It is called Bangla Sahib, because located here was the haveli of Mirza Raja Jai Singhof Jaipur where Guru Har Kishan stayed when he visited Delhi in 1664, at the behest of the Mughal emperor Aurangzeb. Legend goes that there was an outbreak of smallpox cure people in the epidemic.
A much smaller structure than what you see how was built more than a century after the Guru’s visit and now grown into this busy yet calming site.
At any given time, the Bangla Sahib has a throng of devotees, praying and listening to the Gurbani hymns in the main hall. There is a large and serene pond of holy water in the complex. It also houses a museum of Sikh history called Baba Baghel Singh Museum after the Sikh general who supervised the construction of this and many other gurudwaras in Delhi.